March 30, 2018
The Teacher of Promise is a program developed by FFLA to recognize our profession's outstanding young teachers. These awards are designed for teachers who have completed their first, second or third year of teaching and who show promise to be exceptional teachers and leaders in foreign language education.
The Teacher of Promise awards will be presented during the Annual Business Meeting held at the FFLA conference October 18-20, 2018, at the Wyndham Orlando Resort, Orlando, Florida.
OVERVIEW & REQUIREMENTS
- Nominating teacher AND Nominee must be a current member of FFLA.
- Teacher of Promise nominees can be from the elementary, middle school, secondary or post-secondary level.
- Nominating teachers can only nominate teachers from their region.
- There can only be 1 Teacher of Promise from each region.
- Nominating teacher completes the application form (link below) and notifies nominee.
- Nominating teacher sends a copy of the nomination form to the nominee and to the regional director of the region where the nominee teaches. The original copy of the nomination form must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15, 2018.
- Nominee responds to the following prompt in an essay: (250 word minimum, 500 word maximum)
- Explain your foreign language teaching philosophy and describe how you incorporate that philosophy in your instruction. Further, explain how you would improve foreign language education in your school/university.
- Nominee must submit three letters of recommendation from colleagues, parents, administrators or students familiar with his/her teaching. Letters should be 500 words or less and should include the following:
- Name, title and in what capacity he/she knows the nominee
- Why he/she thinks the nominee is an effective teacher (This may address planning, classroom environment, lesson delivery, use of technology, incorporation of culture, etc.)
- Nominee assembles entire application packet (nomination form, essay, letters of recommendation) and sends a copy to email@example.com AND to the FFLA Regional Director of the region in which he/she teaches. (If uncertain of the appropriate region, please refer to this page. If uncertain of the appropriate region director, please refer to this document.) All documents must be received electronically by both the Regional Director and the Awards Chair by March 15, 2018. (If no regional director is listed, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org only.)
- Each Regional Director chooses the Teacher of Promise from that region and submits the name of the winner to email@example.com no later than March 30, 2018. No late submissions will be accepted.
Please submit your application via this link.
Please send the entire application packet (nomiation form, essay, letters of recommendation, etc) to firstname.lastname@example.org AND to the FFLA Regional Director of the nominee. The email subject should be "2018 Teacher of Promise - ##nominee name##".
Late or incomplete applications will NOT be considered.